For this blog I am comparing the Cosmopolitan magazine to their online equivalent. It’s been a while since I have read the magazine; I kind of forgot what the experience was like.
Here’s a list of some of the differences I noticed:
- In the magazine I had to search for the information I was interested in, flipping through many things I had no interest in.
- Online it was easy to access my desired material
- I have to mention the cost… The magazine was $5.24 whereas the online experience was free
- The magazine has a more classy feel
- Reading online was more blunt and not ‘censored’
- The products being advertised in the magazine feel out of reach; like it would require a lot of effort to find &/ purchase
- Online the product information was a click away, if wanted I had the option of purchasing online, not having to leave the house
- The magazine was composed of personal stories, articles about celebrities, and information about how to have beautiful hair or skin, to me these didn’t give me that instant gratification that I want
- Online there were articles related to the internet, for example:
Revenge Porn Sites
Amazing Woman Confronts Her Alleged Rapist on YouTube
- There were also hashtags and memes online
- While reading the magazine, I am distracted by all of the words, ads, and other content. Online I am able to relax and focus on what I want to read
- Also online I can easily research the information, there are links to similar articles, I can quickly search something I am curious about and I can also read other peoples comments.
- The comments online seem more real and less staged than the ones in the magazine, which have obviously been read over and edited.
- Online I can bookmark the information I want to keep, in the magazine I would have to rip the page out, but what if there was something on the other page that I wanted too or it has other information that I don’t want?
- By accessing the information online I can organize it to my liking.
So what to make of this.. Yes the medium most definitely affects the message. I am an impatient person; the magazine does not suit me. I prefer the online version of Cosmopolitan. I feel that I can relate more to the content offered online.